While I’m (still) working on another DIY project, I did a quick one this morning to make up for my lack of tutorials lately!
Inspiration: I’ve wanted to make a detachable collar with a mirrored surface for some time (no idea why), but it wasn’t until I saw Lucinda‘s post on her prismatic shoes that I realized that it was totally DIYable- with old CDs.
What you will need:
- Unwanted Shirt
- An old CD, or two, depending on how much surface you want to cover.
- Basin/Old Container that can fit the CD nicely. (You might want to throw this away when you’re done)
- A Chopstick
- A pair of scissors (that you’re, preferably, willing to part with)
- Uhu Glue
- Cut out the collar from the shirt.
- Place the CD into the container, and pour boiling water into the container. (Be careful and use a cup or something!)
- Wait for 1-2 minutes. (Go watch an advertisement, or two.)
- Use the chopstick to remove the CD from the container.
- Make sure the CD isn’t hot enough to scald your hand, then use your scissors to cut the CD. Don’t cut the CD all the way through!
- It should now be possible for you to peel your CD into two layers- the reflective side, ..and the other one.
- Sometimes the CD’s reflective side may be translucent. This is unacceptable.
- Cut the CD out into angular shapes, then place them on your collar to see if you like it. (That photograph is not a good example! I think that it looks better when the pieces are smaller.)
- When you’re pleased with what you see, carefully glue the pieces on your collar.
- TAA DAAAAH!
I actually wanted the pieces to coat the collar completely, but I’m just lazy not a fan of shiny objects. So keep nail polish remover handy cause it helps to remove glue too!
I’ll post photos of myself wearing the collar soon. I hope you liked this tutorial!
If anyone attempts it I’d be really flattered etc and I would love to see the final product!
Lots of Love,