DIY Tutorial: Mirrored Collars

_dsc0764

While I’m (still) working on another DIY project, I did a quick one this morning to make up for my lack of tutorials lately!

Inspiration: I’ve wanted to make a detachable collar with a mirrored surface for some time (no idea why), but it wasn’t until I saw Lucinda‘s post on her prismatic shoes that I realized that it was totally DIYable- with old CDs.

_dsc0723

What you will need:

• Unwanted Shirt
  • An old CD, or two, depending on how much surface you want to cover.
  • Basin/Old Container that can fit the CD nicely. (You might want to throw this away when you’re done)
  • A Chopstick
  • A pair of scissors (that you’re, preferably, willing to part with)
  • Uhu Glue

Instructions:

1. Cut out the collar from the shirt.
  2. Place the CD into the container, and pour boiling water into the container. (Be careful and use a cup or something!)
  3. Wait for 1-2 minutes. (Go watch an advertisement, or two.)

_dsc0736
  4. Use the chopstick to remove the CD from the container.
  5. Make sure the CD isn’t hot enough to scald your hand, then use your scissors to cut the CD. Don’t cut the CD all the way through!

_dsc0743
  6. It should now be possible for you to peel your CD into two layers- the reflective side, ..and the other one.

_dsc0750
  7. Sometimes the CD’s reflective side may be translucent. This is unacceptable.

_dsc0751
  8. Cut the CD out into angular shapes, then place them on your collar to see if you like it. (That photograph is not a good example! I think that it looks better when the pieces are smaller.)
  9. When you’re pleased with what you see, carefully glue the pieces on your collar.

10. TAA DAAAAH!

Final Result:

_dsc0771

Failed Example:

_dsc0759

I actually wanted the pieces to coat the collar completely, but I’m just lazy not a fan of shiny objects. So keep nail polish remover handy cause it helps to remove glue too!

I’ll post photos of myself wearing the collar soon. I hope you liked this tutorial!

If anyone attempts it I’d be really flattered etc and I would love to see the final product!

Lots of Love,
Lenne

Pin It

24 Comments

1. Pachi Sánchez
    Posted August 25, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Hi Lenne thanks a lot for your comment.Your web is really cool. You have a really interesting works about fashion and photography!This fashion tutorial with the CD is really interesting. Now I’m suscribed on your blog.Congratulations and regards from Madrid!

2. Jenny
    Posted August 25, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

OMG! YOU ARE FABULOUS! What an ultra-cool idea + FANTASTIC RESULT! That collar looks super-designer! You should have your own store where customized shirts & blazers + the cool zipper tie etc are sold! For real!Now I feel bad for being the “unpractical” these days :/ The only time of the year that I do something with my hands is christmas (baking cookies & wrapping gifts), the rest of the year all my creative processes come from the mind and have an outcome in either words or pictures.Look, I created a (runway) fashion cannel (sorted by seasons) on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/bohemenoirDear, I admire your (practical) creativity!

3. lucinda
    Posted August 26, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Wow! This is really cool and you seem to have developed the perfect technique for cutting the CDs. I want to see what this looks like with an outfit x

4. Lenne
    Posted August 26, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Pachi Sánchez: You’re welcome and thank you very much! (:Jenny: Thank you dear! & please don’t say that I don’t see what’s wrong with producing words or images instead. (:I’ll definitely refer to your channel the next time I’m hunting down a fashion show!Lucinda: Thank you! It wouldn’t have been possible if I didn’t see your post. :D I’ll go take that photo, soon!

5. miwitch
    Posted August 26, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

hey! I like! mi want mi want! XD~

6. Jenny
    Posted August 29, 2010 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Muhahaha Alexander McQueen influenced you from the grave :) But seriously – how could one not be inspired by a genious like him!?Congrats on your domain, dear!

7. Lenne
    Posted August 29, 2010 at 7:50 am | Permalink

What I wouldn’t give to channel McQ’s geniousity haha.

8. Emily, Ruby Slipper Traveller
    Posted September 1, 2010 at 4:21 am | Permalink

Really creative and cool! Probably won’t get around to doing this myself, but would definitely like to!

9. Kaylene
    Posted September 2, 2010 at 11:28 am | Permalink

This is fantastic!!! I’m definitely going to give this on a go.

10. The Velvet Bow
    Posted September 3, 2010 at 12:17 am | Permalink

What an awesome idea! You are so clever miss.x The Velvet Bow

11. Larissa
    Posted September 12, 2010 at 10:49 am | Permalink

this is uh, uhmazing

12. Flouncesandslashes
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

I LOVE THIS! reblogged on my site linking you! Keep up the good work!

13. Ciara
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

This is beautiful!Definitely trying this ASAP.Just need to find me a white shirt to cut up!

14. ckl
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Nice one. so nice and cool. will definitely try this out. Hope u post out more on fashion DIY !!

15. unedandizette
    Posted January 5, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

I love the outcome, totally will use try to make it! Unbelievable, how did you even get the idea?

16. Erin
    Posted January 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Wow– this is so original. Nice job!Erin @ http://www.thanksimadeitblog.com

17. Mafalda
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

that is amazing and it doesn’t seem like a lot of work! I’m SO doing this!

18. Ella
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

This is super cool, I am defiantly trying this xx

19. Lenne
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks everyone! Really glad you guys like it :)Please don’t hesitate to email me if you try it out- I’d love to see the result!

20. Sparksinspring
    Posted January 22, 2012 at 8:28 am | Permalink

I love the look of scrap cds. I’m thinking of making one too. I make a pearl collar necklace a while ago, you might like it!

21. pauline
    Posted February 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I looove that diy! thanks! I’ve tried to do my own mirror collar but i failed with the cut of the cd! i don’t understand how to peel the cd into two layers ? when i remove the cd from the container i can’t split it! maybe don’t have the right type of cd …Thanks for your future response!

22. Lenne
    Posted February 16, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Hello Pauline, thanks for trying out the DIY! Did you boil the CD before cutting it? Please feel free to email me at lennelenne@gmail.com if you have more questions :>

23. Andreea
    Posted July 6, 2013 at 3:03 am | Permalink

Hi! I really love this idea…so I tried it …but when I have to slip the cd into two layers..I just can´t..I´ve tried with different cd´s but the shine just peel and fall….
    what can I do? or I´m doing it wrong?

• Lenne Chai
      Posted July 6, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Hi Andrea! I find that that happens when the CDs are too old. Besides that, have you tried using CDs from a different brand?

One Trackback